The project strongly contributes to several targets and indicators of the SDGs and to the three Rio Conventions (UNFCCC, UNCBD, UNCCD)
Sustainable Development Goal 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Target 6.3: By 2030, improve water quality by reducing pollution, eliminating dumping and minimizing release of hazardous chemicals and materials, halving the proportion of untreated wastewater and substantially increasing recycling and safe reuse globally
- 6.3.2: Proportion of bodies of water with good ambient water quality
- Target 6.5: By 2030, implement integrated water resources management at all levels, including through transboundary cooperation as appropriate
- 6.5.1: Degree of integrated water resources management implementation (0-100)
- Target 6.6: By 2020, protect and restore water-related ecosystems, including mountains, forests, wetlands, rivers, aquifers and lakes
- 6.6.1: Change in the extent of water-related ecosystems over time
Sustainable Development Goal 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- Target 15.1: By 2020, ensure the conservation, restoration and sustainable use of terrestrial and inland freshwater ecosystems and their services, in particular forests, wetlands, mountains and drylands, in line with obligations under international agreements
- 15.1.1: Forest area as a proportion of total land area
- 15.1.2: Proportion of important sites for terrestrial and freshwater biodiversity that are covered by protected areas, by ecosystem type
- Target 15.3: By 2030, combat desertification, restore degraded land and soil, including land affected by desertification, drought and floods, and strive to achieve a land degradation-neutral world
- 15.3.1: Proportion of land that is degraded over total land area
- Target 15.4: By 2030, ensure the conservation of mountain ecosystems, including their biodiversity, in order to enhance their capacity to provide benefits that are essential for sustainable development Indicator
- 15.4.1: Coverage by protected areas of important sites for mountain biodiversity
Water and Land accounts will also assist in the follow up and review of Goals 6 and 15.